Ingredients – serves 4 -6
- 2 Spring onions, chopped
- 1 lemon grass, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh Coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 inch thick) steak fillet
- 1 head of lettuce – rinsed, dried and torn into chunks
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, stir together the green onions, lemon grass, Coriander, mint leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce and sugar until well combined and the sugar is dissolved.Check the flavor, if desired, by adding more sugar and/or fish sauce. Set aside.
- Pan fry the steak over high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side, until it is cooked medium. Do not overcook the meat! Remove from heat and slice into thin strips. Add the meat and its juices to the sauce and refrigerate, tightly covered, for at least 3 hours.
- Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces and place in a salad bowl. Arrange the cucumber on top of the lettuce, and then pour the meat and sauce over. Top with the cherry tomatoes and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.